Gale Virtual Reference Library is a collection of full-text e-books that includes dictionaries, encyclopedias, and reference books in biography, history, literature, medicine, and more.
NOTE that the contents of the encyclopedia article will reflect what the encyclopedia is about. E.g. an article about thin layer chromatography in a forensics encyclopedia will be geared toward the application of TLC in forensics.
The Journal of Organic Chemistry (JOC) publishes original contributions of fundamental research in all branches of the theory and practice of organic chemistry.
Follow these instructions to find articles from the Journal of Organic Chemistry:
- Use the link, above, to go to the ACS website for the Journal of Organic Chemistry.
- Search for articles using the search box on the top right of the screen.
- If you find an article written between 1980-1995, request the issue from the Circulation Desk. You can check the issue out for 2 days.
- If you find an article written in 1996 or after, click on the PDF link to read, print, or save the article.
- If you find an article from any other year, request it via Interlibrary Loan (instructions below). You do not need to pay for access to a journal article if you use Interlibrary Loan.
Journal of Chemical Education
The official journal of the Division of Chemical Education of the American Chemical Society, co-published with the American Chemical Society Publications Division. It containes news, commentary, reports, columns, book/media reviews, descriptions of applications, history, or interdisciplinary activities or those that promote public understanding.
Follow these instructions to find articles from the Journal of Chemical Education:
- Click on the link, above, for the Journal of Chemical Education. Using this link will ensure you have full-text access to all articles.
- Use the the search box in the top, right to search for articles.
- Click on the PDF link of an article to read, print, or save an article.
Peer-reviewed journal, focusing on all areas of analytical chemistry.
Follow these instructions to find articles from Analytical Chemistry:
- Use the link, above, to access the ACS website for Analytical Chemistry.
- Search for articles using the search box at the top, right of the screen.
- If you find an article wrtten in 1996 or after, click on the PDF link.
- For articles written in any other year, use Interlibrary Loan (instructions below) to request articles. You do not need to pay for access to a journal article if you use Interlibrary Loan.
***NOTE: The Interlibrary Loan form is temporarily unavailable. Please email the library or see a librarian at the reference desk to interlibrary loan an article.***
If there are books and/or articles that you need for your research that Normandale Library does not own, you can request them through Interlibrary Loan. It usually takes from 3 to 5 days for the requested material to arrive at Normandale Library. This service is free to faculty, staff, and students.
Blank Request Form (StarID login)
Follow these instructions to obtain an article through Interlibrary Loan:
- Use the link above to access the Interlibrary Loan page.
- Click on the “Journal Articles” link, under “How do I use Interlibrary Loan?”
- Sign into your library account using your Star ID and password.
- Fill out the form with as much information as you can: title, author, journal, year, etc.
- Select “Copy (electronic),” and the article will be emailed to you within a few days.
The Health & Life Sciences Journal Collection offers leading literature online in the health and life sciences, including health and nursing professions, biology, and environmental sciences.
Library Combined Search helps find articles, books, and videos from the library collection.
Call or e-mail a librarian if you need further research assistance. We're happy to help!(952) 358-8290
Library Faculty - Reference & Instruction
Your question may be directed to a librarian from another college when Normandale librarians are unavailable.
In order to access databases and other Library resources from off campus, login with your StarID and password when prompted. Off-campus access to library databases is only available to current Normandale students, staff, and faculty.
Links to each chapter of the ACS style guide.
ACS Style Guide Cheat Sheet from Williams College
ACS (American Chemical Society) Style Guidelines Quick Guide
This quick guide is developed by librarians at University of Southern California and is based on the 3rd edition of the ACS Style Guide.